Director, Neurological Services
Company: RWJBarnabas Health
Location: West Orange
Posted on: November 21, 2020
Rutgers - Dept of Neurology, 95 Old Short Hills Road, West Orange,
RWJBarnabas Health is the most comprehensive health care delivery
system in New Jersey, with a service area covering five million
people. The system includes eleven acute care hospitals Clara Maass
Medical Center in Belleville, Community Medical Center in Toms
River, Jersey City Medical Center in Jersey City, Monmouth Medical
Center in Long Branch, Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus in
Lakewood, Newark Beth Israel Medical Center in Newark, RWJUH- New
Brunswick, RWJUH- Somerset in Somerville, RWJUH- Hamilton, RWJUH-
Rahway and Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston; three acute
care children s hospitals and a leading pediatric rehabilitation
hospital (Children s Specialized Hospital), a freestanding 100-bed
behavioral health center, trauma centers, a satellite emergency
department, ambulatory care centers, geriatric centers, the state s
largest behavioral health network, comprehensive home care and
hospice programs, fitness and wellness centers, retail pharmacy
services, a medical group, multi-site imaging centers and an
accountable care organization.
RWJBarnabas Health is New Jersey s largest private employer with
more than 33,000 employees, 9,000 physicians and 1,000 residents
and interns and routinely captures national awards for outstanding
quality and safety.
The Director of Neurological Services will report directly to the
Senior Vice President of Cardiac and Neurological Services and be
accountable for implementing, integrating, and growing the
neurological service line for the member institutions of
RWJBarnabas Health and for the outcomes related to quality,
service, people, growth and sustainability. In addition, this
leader will help ensure physician and other clinical resources are
appropriately onboarded and strategically deployed.
* Provide operational leadership for the continued growth and
development of sub-specialty multidisciplinary programs in response
to customer (patient, payer and physician) needs. Major areas of
responsibility include portfolio management of the service line s
strategic initiatives, cultivating relations between academic
departments and the hospital/health system, medical staff
relations, space and technology planning, and customer
* Work with the service line leadership team, chairs/departments,
program directors, service line medical directors, aligned
physicians, nursing leaders, and medical groups to drive quality
and service line initiatives across acute and ambulatory settings
in the system according to lean principles.
* Participate in developing initiatives for new payer strategies
including bundled payments and changing payer status.
* Provide physicians and staff the tools they need by participating
in planning, negotiations, and purchasing of new capital equipment,
as well as participating in negotiations with vendors and suppliers
of existing products and equipment to achieve favorable
* Ensure a coordinated approach to outreach initiatives regionally
and across the state.
* Serve as the service line s primary contact to marketing and
physician relations liaisons to plan new initiatives for the growth
and exposure of programs to customers and potential customers.
* Collaborating with the leadership team, department chairs, and
the development team, the Administrative Director of Neurosurgical
Services will work to secure philanthropic support for programming
and will participate in community affairs to represent the
RWJBarnabas Health system.
* Executes the business development and strategic planning
initiatives designed by the senior leadership team for system-wide
* Identifies, evaluates and implements new programs in
collaboration with the service line leaders to apply innovation in
services, technology and care delivery.
* Develops and reports metrics to analyze the effectiveness of
services, including volumes, quality and safety measures, patient
satisfaction and financial performance.
* Leads activities aimed at improving high quality care, effective
utilization of resources, development of multidisciplinary care
teams that meet the needs of the whole patient, and cost
* Develops tools and processes in collaboration with Senior
Leadership to improve patient satisfaction as well as satisfaction
of referring physicians and hospitals.
* Establishes and maintains effective communication relationships
with all internal and external service line stakeholders.
* Fosters teamwork, inter-departmental cooperation and
communication across the continuum of care.
* Maintains a strong and collaborative relationship with physicians
to adopt and incorporate quality initiatives, understands economic
considerations and increase physician/hospital alignment.
* Coordinates and works to improve and facilitate communication
with referring physicians.
* Facilitates cohesive, amicable and productive working
relationships among all groups involved in services including;
surgeons, staff and nursing leadership.
* Promotes and builds strong relationships with physicians
throughout the organization and the community.
* Fosters a team approach in collaborating between departments.
* Manages service line meetings and meets regularly with department
chairs and sub-specialty program directors to ensure effective
* Master s degree in related finance or healthcare field
* Minimum 5 years progressive experience in project management,
finance, healthcare management, and/or strategic planning required;
additional years of experience in healthcare financial
management/analysis and business planning preferred. Working
experience in healthcare and/or similar academic medical center
environment strongly preferred.
* Proven ability to demonstrate leadership and possesses an ability
to effectively communicate with executive levels.
* A proven ability to build consensus and motivate teams of
diverse, multidisciplinary, and multi-departmental stakeholders at
varied levels of academic and professional experience.
* An ability to productively manage politically and financially
* Proactive identification, diagnosis, and timely resolution of
* Ability to prioritize and delivery on goals and priorities for a
service line while contributing to the planning and implementation
of institutional priorities.
* Knowledge and experience performing financial management,
strategic planning and implementation, business development, space
planning, information systems, process improvement, outcomes
measurement, reporting, and human resource management
* Experience in project management, clinical operations management,
strategy development, business and financial planning, budgeting,
and financial reporting.
* Financial and operational analytical skills required, including
profit and loss, reimbursement analysis, business trends and
process analysis, and identification of system weaknesses.
* Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively at all
levels of complex organization.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with
or without notice.
We offer a great work environment, competitive rates and excellent
Vacation/Personal/Holiday/Sick Time Off
Short & Long Term Disability
Basic Life & Accidental Death Insurance
Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
RWJBarnabas Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Keywords: RWJBarnabas Health, West Orange , Director, Neurological Services, Executive , West Orange, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!